Saturday, May 19, 2012

fondant



Since I cant just go to Walmart and order Matt a cake, I thought I might as well try to make the coolest cake  for his party. no reason Matt has to have just a sheet cake with frosting on it.  I mean certainly Hes not going to care, but I decorated Michelle's cake as best as I knew how 20 years ago, and now I have 20 years experience making and decorating cakes.

I also cant just go out and buy sugar decorations for it. Not if its going to be a Mio Mao cake...

SO I set out to learn how to use Fondant frosting.

Fondant frosting is a professional frosting.  It's more like play-dough or clay, and to make a claymation cake I think it will work with nice results.

I made my frosting a week ago myself after doing some internet study.  I found my recipe for fondant frosting HERE


Rolled Buttercream Fondant



  • 1 cup light corn syrup
  • 1 cup shortening
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
  • 2 pounds confectioners' sugar


As you can see, its practically strait sugar but oddly its not super rich like other things I have made with powdered sugar, like buckeyes for one.....

It kneads like clay until it gets warm.  So I knew that I had to chill it then tint it and re-chill it.  The warmth of my hands makes it soft.  so I think I will be making my decorations ahead and chilling them, so I can re-chill them prior to trying to assemble the cake.

This is certainly taking some planning!  and now you see why I made home made play-dough last month! yea that's right I was practicing on how to create the things I need to make with the sugar.


This recipe contains soy

0 comments: