Friday, May 11, 2012

MILK! Milk is in chocolate cake! ... Not mine !

Well if you follow my other blog, You know my son has a severe allergy to milk. How do you make a first birthday cake without milk?



I mean really Bill Cosby says it best "MILK! Milk is in chocolate cake!"

I set out on this mission with the thought i need a cake that Matt can eat. Not just a cake.  I surfed the web and all i could find was... almond milk, rice milk, soy milk ....

what do all those contain?  that's right MILK PROTEIN that is so close to MILK protein that Matt still cant tolerate it.  UGH.  I searched and i searched and NOTHING!

So then I went to the store well how about a mix....
well every mix says MILK.. except one. I don't trust labels any longer, Ive seen screw ups.  If Matt's allergy was slight like some of the family I would do it.  But when an English muffin bothers him? yea i'm done.

Well how does it look?
SO i drug out my grange cookbook.  I found a cupcake recipe.  :D Yea NO MILK! I was a bit afraid that maybe it wouldn't turn out right since it was for cupcakes.

100% dairy free "buttercream"!
Then to the frosting.. Canned has yep MILK! So does my families recipe... SOOOO back to the drawing board.... I found that you can substitute simple WATER if you add it AFTER you mix the shortening into the powdered sugar!
Matt Approves!
This is how it tastes!  As you can see its Matt approved! and no he didnt get the whole beater I shared it with him.
After i finish the cake and get some family opinions I will post the recipe if its a keeper! SO FAR , I am IMPRESSED!

0 comments: