Monday, March 29, 2010

Pileated Woodpecker

When I was 14 or so, My mother and I were in the yard at her house and one of these Huge woodpecker landed on the tree next to us. It was about 16 inches long.... yes thats big. It was a truely once in a lifetime chance to see this bird. Mother and I had never seen it before and we both agreed if we would always remember seeing it. We live on the edge of a wood, but we have heavy traffic on our road so these woodland birds don't normally come out this far.

Today I found out it isnt a once in a lifetime kinda thing, its a once in twenty years kinda thing. He flew into the tree that holds my large flat feeder. (that came down this last winter) I just happened to see his beautiful white under wing band as he flew past my window. I ran for my camera, but it wasnt where I keep it so I missed the shot. :(

The picture here is from Wiki at least that was available for me to tell Steve and Michelle what I had found! If you would like to see more on this bird,

Click here to read more about the Pileated Woodpecker...

Click here to hear the Pileated Woodpecker...

When we listened to this file, we both agreed that we hear this A LOT for only seeing this bird twice in my lifetime. Steve has only seen it once.

1 comments:

Lou and Kathy said...

Remember, you called it "the woodpecker that didn't comb his hair", that is how I remember the sighting. A fond memory for me also.