Friday, February 12, 2010

Whats for dinner?

Mexican Casserole

I have been working on this recipe for a while now. It has come into being simply by the necessity to have something different. I think I have it about perfected so I'm going to post it.

This is a layered casserole I make it in a 9x13 but if you want smaller amounts you can put it in an 8x8 brownie pan.

Crust layer
2 cups of uncooked rice

boiled drain do not rinse, this will keep it sticky so it makes a nice "crust" and the rice will not be crumbly (this goes on the bottom of the pan)

Meat layer
1 pound of ground beef cooked & drained
2 pkgs taco seasoning
3 cups of water
flour to thicken
~~ this will make a taco flavored "gravy" spoon this over the rice.

one onion chopped coarsely. evenly spread over the meat.

1 jar salsa what ever heat you like. I use mild. dot this over entire top

1 can black beans drained and rinsed. sprinkle over for next layer.

1 lb shredded Cheddar cheese to top it off.

bake 350 for 30 mins (your onions will remain crunchy)

other things you can add to this if you like,

  1. Black olives
  2. a dollop of sour cream on top
  3. finely chopped lettuce after you take it out of the oven
  4. chopped fresh tomatoes
  5. taco sauce
  6. crushed taco chips before you add the cheddar cheese.
  7. hot peppers (if you like it spicy)
These are all ideas I have had since I started making this. I think the version in the pic above is just right. but you could try any of these ideas.

I would also like to thank the stranger I met at wal-mart who recommended the black beans they work so much better than the pinto beans I have been using!

0 comments: