Friday, March 20, 2009

Jello Poke Cake


As I was trying to find ideas for St Patrick day desserts, I decided to try the jello Poke cake. I have eaten these at summertime functions, but had never successfully made one. Although I had tried and failed miserably!

With some coaching from the Big sister, (thanks again!) I found i was making my holes too big and my cake should be cold before adding my Jello.

I always ended up with a jello soaked cake instead of a pretty striped cake.

OK now that I know how to do it, I'll tell you!

Start off with a regular yellow or white cake mix and bake according to directions.

stick in refrigerator to cool completely

after its cold, mix together

any flavor jello
3/4 cup of boiling water

after its dissolved add
1/2 cup cold water

use a two prong meat fork to poke cake, the more you poke the more stripes, but avoid over poking

pour jello over holes, and get it back in the fridge.

I frosted mine with some plain whipped topping that I had colored to match my jello.

Big sis said that it would be "better" if I made fresh whipped cream with it. And you know like most big sisters are always right. She probably was in this instance too, but I have a touch of lazy in me and frankly we are lucky I added the green food coloring instead of just shaking on some green sugar sprinkles.

0 comments: