Tuesday, December 21, 2010

HOLIDAY MINTS





When I was young my mom and I made mints one year for Christmas.

I was especially missing that this year so I thought Icould whip some up but i couldn't find the recipe, and for once I didn't want to bother Mom.

So I sat down to think, and while I think I like to eat. As I was nibbling on my potato candy I got thinking "Wow this is really like the mints!"

SOOOO another batch of potato candy was stirred up.


2 (1 lb.) boxes powdered sugar (added slowly)
1/2 c. hot mashed potatoes

I mixed this up just like for the potato candy but I learned one VERY IMPORTANT thing.

DO NOT have lumps in your potatoes! or as you start adding sugar they will show up. after say the first cup of sugar your batch will be very runny, and this is when you will see the lumps.

If by some chance you do (like i did) take your batch and run it though a screen sieve ASAP do not add any more sugar until you get the lumps out.

Keep adding your sugar until you get a dough like substance. Divide this into as many flavors as you would like. We chose three flavors peppermint, lemon and eggnog.


The flavors coincide with my extracts, peppermint lemon and rum. We added food coloring to the lemon and the peppermint, and to the rum extract we added 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg instead of color. To assure the flavor was mixed evenly I made a dent in the ball of dough, and added the flavor and the color at the same time. So I could see the flavor blending.



Make them into small balls and press then with a cookie press, or a dual fork (like peanut butter cookies) or we used a piece of cut glass that had a design on the bottom.


After you get them pressed allow them to air dry for an hour or so, they need to dry out a bit on the outside. then you can plate them up!

0 comments: