Thursday, June 10, 2010

Gramma's Chicken

I was recently informed that I have never posted my Grandmothers Chicken recipe. So My daughter took the photos for this post with her new Camera.

Now try to remember that I am not big on recipies. and This recipe has become one of my own I will "wing it" for those of you who need measurements.

1 chicken cut up (this time i used 3 legs 3 thighs)

wash and "bread" the chicken in this mixture....

1 cup of Flour
teaspoon chicken seasoning
teaspoon sage
1/2 teaspoon garlic
salt and pepper

have frying pan hot and with about 1/2 cup of oil in it ready for chicken as soon as you take it out of the breading. as seen here....


cook on medium heat until breading is golden. when it gets close check it frequently by peeking at the bottom.


flip it all and brown on opposite side.


While the chicken is browning use this time to chop up an onion and some celery. set aside. (this is my hand chopping very fast LOL and i should have moved that cake so I had more room!)

after chicken is browned move to a deep dish casserole dish (you might be able to use a 9x13, I have a glass chicken roaster that i use for this.


Actually Gramma used to do all of this in the fry pan, but My sister saw a pork chop recipe much like this that finished cooking in the oven. ITS MUCH BETTER this way and easier.

After you put it in the casserole dish, dump your chopped onions, and chopped celery over the top of your chicken. (here is the important part....) the left over breading mix... YOU DIDNT THROW IT OUT DID YOU??

add some cool water to it and make it into a thickener. and pour over the whole pan evenly. I know your brain is screaming "but the salmonella!!!" well that chicken you just put in? its still bleeding anyhow because we just browned it. the next step will fix all that. you are also gonna add some water. i think i added a pint. Just enough to cover the whole mess.

You are now going to bake it in the oven for an hour (425) or until the chicken in the middle is at an internal temp of 180 degrees. THAT IS VERY IMPORTANT. and you might want to have something under it... mine ran over in my oven.

the water turns to an awesome gravy, the chicken is tender and omm nommy, serve it with plain potatoes and grandma used to use fresh green beans from the garden. the smell of this dish is to die for.

I would like to thank Michelle for being a great photographer until it was done of course, she was so excited about eating this, she forgot to take my finished product shot!

***TIP! if you have a 6 quart crock pot, you can do the final step in your crock pot instead of your oven! 9we resorted to crock pots instad of oven due to HOT DAYS!

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

That looks & sounds so good !! I will have to try that .

Krista said...

oh it is Cheryl IT IS!!!