Thursday, August 13, 2009

Chocolate Zucchini Cake


My Husband came home yesterday with TWO of these HUGE zucchinis. Now normally I would be overjoyed at my husband bringing home fresh produce. Especially fresh free.... but zucchini? Well that's just Dandy. I am the only person who likes it. I will make the occasional loaf of zucchini bread or a batch of Martian cookies... (I'll put that up later) but TWO of them? This is like a dozen (or more) loaves!

Steve doesn't like squash. Not boiled baked or fried. I have tried. Not only will he not try it again but that's also NEW recipes! He won’t try it. He reminds me of the book “green eggs and ham”

… I will not try them Sam I am!

Can you tell me WHAT POSSESSES a man to bring home a vegetable he doesn't like or doesn't want to try? your guess is as good as mine. So anyhow I have been searching the net looking for new recipes that i can "disguise" the zucchini in. I found this one. It looks good I am pretty certain it was at About.com I read too many today to really know.

You can see i scrapped the powdered sugar... that's canned frosting on the cake...

Chocolate Zucchini Cake

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 pound raw zucchini, shredded
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
Confectioners' sugar

Preparation:
Generously grease and flour a 10-inch Bundt pan. Preheat oven to 350°.
Sift flour with baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and cocoa; set aside.
In a large mixing bowl with hand held electric mixer at high speed, beat eggs until light in color and fluffy. Gradually beat in granulated sugar until light and fluffy; beat in oil.
With mixer at low speed, beat in the sifted dry ingredients in 3 additions, alternating with the buttermilk.
Drain shredded zucchini; fold into the flour mixture along with vanilla and pecans. Spoon into prepared Bundt pan and bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
Cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes, then remove from pan to cool completely. Sift confectioners' sugar over cake before serving.

Just in case you haven't churned any butter today or the local A&P is closed!

Buttermilk Substitute
Ingredients:
Milk (just under one cup)
1 Tablespoon white vinegar or lemon juice
Preparation:
Place a Tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice in a liquid measuring cup.
Add enough milk to bring the liquid up to the one-cup line.
Let stand for five minute. Then, use as much as your recipe calls for.

0 comments: