Friday, July 10, 2009

Friendship bread


I normally have a thing of starter packed away deep in the back of my freezer, mainly because I can't GIVE this stuff away.

A good friend from Work named Jeanie gave me my starter that I am still using now. Must have been two years ago. I freeze my "friend" starters in small zippy bags and when I want to make friendship bread or cookies, I have my starter in 1 cup baggies defrost and there you go. You just can't use the last one or you have to start over and make starter. (not fun)

I gotta say though, it is nice to think of Jeanie every time I pull one out too.

Well here is my recipe for the main bread recipe.
it is very flexible, as you can eat it just as the recipe stands, or you can add stuff to it.

I have added choc chips, nuts, zucchini, yellow squash, apples, what ever sounds good. I was just thinking the cinnamon chips you can find at times would be awesome! oh with maybe grated apple too? YUMMY!

The loaf pictured above is yellow squash.

**tip**
make certain you bake it LONG enough!!! it is a heavy recipe and takes nearly that hour!

Amish Friendship Bread
1 cup starter
2/3 cup vegetable oil
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar 3 eggs
1 1/2tsp baking powder
1-1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2tsp salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
Your choice of raisins, chocolate chips, nuts, seeds, apples, dates etc.

Combine all ingredients and mix well. Place batter in well greased and sugared 9x5x3 inch loaf pan. Bake at 350*F for 45-50 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan.

0 comments: