Tuesday, May 5, 2009

wind chime repair


I found a wind chime that was forgotten last fall. The strings were broken the "catcher" was missing, the paint was chipped. Sadly this was chime was a good sounding one. So I feel I must repair it.


First thing I had to do was remove all of the broken strings, sand off the old paint, and re paint with a corresponding color.

Now I have to re string the pipes, and my center clapper, and wind catcher. if you are repairing a chime of your own pay close attention to how the pipes are strung most are strung this way.



But this was the first one that I have seen that the strings were held fast by a tack. I like this idea, by fastening the strings with a tack, the pipes stay where you put them. I will probably use this method again!

And there you go, ready to hang! I enjoyed this. It was an easy afternoon task. I did this while my daughter was signing up for her SAT's.

I searched online and there are lots of Kits available if you want to make one yourself. I am also thinking about making a new one myself... maybe we will see another one of these before summer is out.

0 comments: