Thursday, December 31, 2009

30,000 lbs of bananas


When our local grocery store ran a special on "dated" bananas I could not resist buying a whole lot more than we could ever eat before they go bad. but 75 cents a bunch is just something I cant beat with a stick!

So what do I do with too many bananas? Well Tina over at "Mommy's Kitchen" says I can freeze them and use them with my frozen blueberry's to make Purple smoothies.

When I was a kid back in the health food craze of the 70's My mom used to cut bananas in half dip them in honey and roll them in wheat germ and freeze them on Popsicle sticks (this was our version of a Popsicle in the summer) I remember eating them but I honestly dont remember liking them. But I don't remember dis-liking them either, and I havent thought of them in years. But I know that bananas freeze, I just never thought to do it before.

So Michelle and I pennied up a mess of them (her's is the neat pan...) Then we popped them in the freezer on cookie sheets. After they are frozen, I will put them in a zippy bag for the smoothies or maybe just to pop on my cornflakes like I do my frozen blueberries. They are really cold, but still nummy!

1 comments:

Susan said...

You can also use the frozen bananas in bread, muffins, cake...